Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Homemade Nok Hockey Table

I made an earlier post about my love for Nok Hockey (you can check that out here).

Working as a youth director I asked one of my parents to build a Nok Hockey table for the youth. Here is what he came back with!


This is a beautiful hand crafted Nok Hockey Table. It fits well on either side of our 4 by 8 ping pong table. I got the instructions for making it from instructables.com (check it out here). This is a doable DIY project for someone with some wood working equipment. If you don't feel like making the puck and sticks you can by them off amazon (check it out here).


The biggest complaint about the table is that when you played it is really loud and it is hard to score. I came up with a simple solution for both of these complaints. Instead of playing with a puck we play with a small ball.

 We usually play with a plastic golf ball. A normal ping pong ball is too light. Something that has been frustrating me about the beer pong craze is that people have started selling beer pong balls. These balls look similar to ping pong balls but they are smaller, heavier, cheaply made, and sometimes not very round. They are really cheap but even for someone like me who is terrible at ping pong they are impossible to play ping pong with (here is an example of a set). These balls are frustrating because it makes in nearly impossible to find a decent set of cheap ping pong balls. I have found 2 things these balls work well with (someone gave me 5 or 6 of them). The ones that are truly round work well as Foosball balls and in Nok Hockey. They also work okay for little kid carnival games. 


Really playing table hockey with a ball makes sense. I don't know why someone hasn't marketed this yet. When people play street hockey or roller hockey they use a ball so maybe now Nok Hockey is to street hockey as air hockey is to ice hockey. I think a small wooding ball might work well too. I think if someone did some research they could design a table top ball hockey game that played VERY similarly to an air hockey game and they could market the game to schools and community centers and turn a nice profit.



No comments:

Post a Comment